Friday, May 19th from 6:30 am to 8 am
Chains Required Bike Shop
41869 Big Bear Blvd, Big Bear Lake, CA
On the southwest corner at Summit Boulevard
You will be required to complete a Liability Waiver and you will receive directions to your assigned location during the race.
Volunteers will receive a special volunteer cooler bag complete with water, lunch (delicious sandwich wrap from Copper Q), snacks and t-shirt on the day of the event as well as an invitation to the Volunteer Thank You Celebration at the conclusion of the day. Be a part of this exciting Big Bear Lake event!
Volunteers Still Needed
Below are the different areas we need volunteers. Please let us know what you would like to do. Course Marshals are what we need the most help with. Positions will go on a first come basis so contact our Volunteer Coordinator, Lauren Meisenheimer, as soon as possible with the job that you are interested in. Please include your second choice as well.
- Stage Course Marshals: Assigned a designated area along the race course to assist with the coordination and safety of the field of play for all race venues; keep the course clear of pedestrians, spectators, cars, etc.; keep spectators informed. An Orientation and Handbook will be provided to assist Marshals with their role.
- Ambassador (aka. Security): Assist Ambassador staff with access-control: including on course, hospitality, awards area, green room, and press conference. Will be provided special Ambassador t-shirt, instructions and deployment from Ambassador Director on-site.
- Parking Monitors: Control access to on-site Tour parking areas – including Team, VIP, EXPO and Tour Staff. Tour will provide sample sheet of vehicle decals and dash placards for identification. Needs to be determined by LOC.
- Legends Tent: Verifying that only individuals with passes are permeated entrance. Help with lines and Legends tables.
The Amgen Tour of California event is an immense undertaking and we need YOUR help in order to have a successful and safe day of cycling racing. We are estimating a need for approximately 150 volunteers that day. You will have a front row seat to view some of the world’s top cyclists!
What is the time-frame that volunteers are needed for?
We will need volunteers to commit for the majority of the day – approximately from 8:30 am to 4:00 pm.
Can I work just part of the day?
The vast majority of volunteers will be used as Course Marshals for the event. As the roads close for the event, some of the course will be land-locked and you will not be able to leave. We will work with our volunteers with their scheduling to ensure proper placement.
What will I be doing?
There are a wide variety of jobs that need to be done. We primarily need assistance out on the course Course Marshals to insure that cars and pedestrians do not get on the course from streets, driveways, trails, etc.
Will I be compensated in any way?
This will be a fun, but VOLUNTEER activity. However since the volunteers are so critical to the events success, you will treated very well!
- Course Marshals will have a front row seat to watch the best cyclists in the world!
- You will be making a major contribution to Big Bear’s Superbowl – a world class event that will show Big Bear Lake on the world stage.
- We will be having an orientation meeting a couple of weeks before the event to train and educate you on what is about to happen.
- All volunteers with be provided with special volunteer cooler bag complete with water, food, snacks and t-shirt on the day of the event.
- Volunteer Thank You Celebration – Immediately following the conclusion of the AMGEN Tour of California, volunteers will be invited to a THANK YOU celebration and be recognized for their work.
Can I work with a friend?
We will make every effort to keep husbands and wives together or close, that’s assuming you want to be together! We will also try to keep families together/close. Beyond that . . . we will do our best, but can make no guarantees. We want families to come and enjoy this event together. Children under 18 cannot volunteer unless they are with, and supervised by, an adult. The minimum age for volunteering is 18. We have NO FLEXIBILITY ON THAT as it is a requirement from the Tour and your volunteer waiver will cover that.
The Amgen Tour of California event is a tremendous undertaking and we need your help. We need to get volunteer commitments AS SOON AS POSSIBLE! We understand that schedules change and some may sign up and find out later that they cannot volunteer. That’s ok – we understand!
Sign Up Now!
Once you have signed up we will be sending out regular emails to keep you up to date. Thanks in advance for you help in this special event. We look forward to seeing you on Friday, May 19th!
Volunteer Coordinator, Local Organizing Committee